Step outside your business with a mentor
Contact Rotorua Chamber for more information relating to Business Mentors. 07 346 3657
A business mentor can help you step outside the day to day running of your business to take a look at your business as a whole and see the opportunities and issues you face, or potentially will face.
“The best thing about having a mentor is it instills discipline to give time and attention to work on your business. A mentor is not going to train you, or write you a business plan, nor do they necessarily have the magic answer. What they will do however is support your decision making," says Business Mentors New Zealand personnel.
While a mentor may not know everything about your type of business they will likely know where you should go for research or to get answers and they will help you identify gaps that may need addressing.
“A good mentor is someone who is patient, has good general business experience in either their own business or a senior management role, and someone who can go in quietly and offer support. They need to understand the business quickly, focus on what the business is about and the skill levels of the business owner.”
Anyone who is trading and has a financial history can apply for a mentor. While there is no time limit as to how long the business has been operating, you must have have at least made some sales.
Business Mentors New Zealand has started something new in its mentoring service, and now offers a service to start up businesses. This is where a a mentor works with the client to get their business up and running.
The process of obtaining a mentor is simple:
If your business employs fewer than 25 full-time employees and provides you with your primary source of income, with evidence of trading, you qualify to register for mentoring assistance.
- Register online at www.businessmentors.org.nz
- Complete an online application
- Pay a one off $225 + GST registration fee (for one year of mentoring)
- Your local agent will contact you to arrange your mentor match
And it is even easier to become a mentor:
- Complete the Business Mentor application form at www.businessmentors.org.nz selecting the areas of expertise and industry experience with which you are most familiar
- Your local agent will contact you to advise if your application has been accepted. There are 17 Business Mentors New Zealand agencies throughout New Zealand.